[Marxism] More on the TWU dissidents

Greg Dunkel gdunkel at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 22 12:54:50 MST 2006

TWU100 was split on the contract, witness the vote.  But they weren't
split on the strike  -- the MTA claimed that 1,000 members scabbed
during the strike but I think they included everyone who was on vacation
in that figure. Even assuming their figure, less than 3% of union
members scabbed.

This is a strong figure in face of the viciously anti-union, anti-labor
Taylor Law that is stacked against labor and has almost no restrictions
on management.

The bourgeoisie in New York, the center of US finance capital, would
like to smash TWU100 but they don't want to risk a strike that would
shut NYC down.

In general, I think it is more important to focus on unity and how to
build it in the labor movement than in splits in a particular union.

/greg