[Marxism] South Africa and Bolivia

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jan 23 19:30:11 MST 2006

Joaquin wrote:
>Louis, continuing the campaign against illusions against what I guess
>should be called indigeno-reformism, sends to the list the following
>from mrzine by one Stan Winer:

Joaquin, don't try to assume that I have a fully worked out position on Evo
Morales and his new government. I send all sorts of material--both pro and
con--as is my duty as a moderator. It helps to stimulate discussion. The
only fully worked out position I have is that Walter Lippmann's Manichean
Marxism is fundamentally mistaken.

I don't read everything that carefully that I send to the list, but if I
knew that the MRZine article was wrong on the facts of where Evo Morales
visited first, I still would have sent it. I strongly identify with MRZine
and Counterpunch, both of which have carried such material. If Evo Morales
government is made of the right stuff, it will survive criticisms of this sort.

If Stan Winer no longer has the same illusions in Thabo Mbeki that he had 2
years ago, I would consider that progress. As somebody who spent some time
with Thabo Mbeki myself back in 1990, I had the same sorts of illusions
just as I had in Lula at that time. I wrote an article about 10 years ago
titled "Lenin in Context". It had a section that considered alternatives to
"Marxism-Leninism", among them the ANC and the Workers Party of Brazil.
About 4 years ago I removed references to those groups. People change their
minds as objective reality changes. The only people who are immune to this
process operate on faith alone, something I refuse to do.