[Marxism] Fwd: Nigeria;Biodun Jeyifo and the Wasted Generation

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Thu Jan 26 05:59:54 MST 2006

RECENTLY, former students, friends and associates of Professor Biodun Jeyifo celebrated his sixtieth birthday. Professor Jeyifo of English Department, Cornell  University USA was formerly at the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University). In this commentary Wale Ajao, Head education desk takes a look at  Professor Jeyifo's activism against the background of ideological vacuum prevailing in the polity. Enjoy it.

Let me start by introducing them. I am referring to those I want to describe as members of the wasted generation. This introduction is by their fruits a tiny group of  individuals. They go by the appellation, "Marxists." Sometimes they are called activists! In recent times some of them are better known as human rights activists.
They are found all around the nation. Their main habitation is the campuses of tertiary institutions. They have since the colonial days been peddling revolution. Quite a  few of them believed that capitalism would collapse under its weight of contradictions! Yet a few others think that a closely knit organisation can bring down the  capitalist state.

Full: http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/features/education/edu526012006.html