[Marxism] Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 26 09:25:35 MST 2006

Dems Pick Kaine for State of Union Response; What the Hell Are They Thinking?
by Arianna Huffington

So the Democrats have chosen Virginia Governor Tim Kaine to deliver the
party's response to President Bush's State of the Union speech. Chalk up
another one for the What the Hell Are They Thinking? file.

(clip)

Don't ask me why, but I actually watched Kaine's inaugural address on
C-SPAN, and I was stunned to hear him dare compare the cause of Virginians
like Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson to our cause in Iraq: "They stood
here at a time, just as today, when Virginians serving freedom's cause
sacrificed their lives so that democracy could prevail over tyranny."

Iraq as a war to ensure that democracy can prevail over tyranny is George
Bush's talking point. God help us if it's also the talking point of the man
the Democrats have chosen to respond to him after the State of the Union.

And during Kaine's run for Governor, he adopted another Bush talking point
-- that it would send "a horrible message" to "cut and run" in Iraq. Could
that be any further from Murtha's message that Iraq has become a civil war
-- a civil war being inflamed by our continuing presence?

full: http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0120-29.htm

===

Gay Marriage Ban Advances Toward Va. Referendum
Md. Lawmakers Offer Similar Bill

By Chris L. Jenkins
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 26, 2006; A01

RICHMOND, Jan. 25 -- The state Senate all but guaranteed on Wednesday that
Virginia will hold a November referendum on whether to amend its
230-year-old Bill of Rights to bar same-sex marriages.

The Senate voted 28 to 11 to follow the House of Delegates in approving the
amendment. Though each chamber still must pass the measure adopted by the
other, their wording is identical and support among the senators and
delegates is strong.

"The family is the foundation of our society, and it's been based on a
union of a man and a woman since the inception of marriage," said Del. John
A. Cosgrove (R-Chesapeake). "A constitutional amendment . . . will protect
that."

(clip)

At the Capitol on Wednesday, hundreds of supporters of Equality Virginia,
the state's leading gay rights organization, vowed they would defeat the
amendment.

"There are tens of thousands of people . . . prepared to fight this
so-called marriage amendment," said Dyana Mason, executive director of
Equality Virginia.

Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) does not have to review the amendment
resolution. He could veto a separate bill that specifically calls for the
November referendum, but press secretary Delacey Skinner said he will not
do so.

"The governor's position is that a marriage is between one man and one
woman," Skinner said.

full:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/25/AR2006012501329.html

--