[Marxism] Query: formation of the Israeli nation

Ian Pace ian at ianpace.com
Thu Jan 26 10:46:04 MST 2006

> Can anyone recommend any articles or books relating to the formation of
> the Israeli nation (i.e., as opposed to state). It's to use as an example
> of the materialist theory of the nation, as constituted by territory,
> economy, language and culture, as opposed to idealist-culturalist type
> theories that e.g., see Jews as a whole as some kind of nation.
You'll certainly find relevant stuff in David Hirst - The Gun and the Olive
Branch (Revised Edition: Faber & Faber: London, 2003), Norman Finkelstein -
Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict (Second Edition: Verso,
London, 2003), Ilan Pappe - A History of Modern Palestine: One Land, Two
Peoples (Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2003), Edward Said and
Christopher Hitchens (eds) - Blaming the Victims: Spurious Scholarship and
the Palestinian Question (Verso: London, 2001), Avi Shlaim - The Iron Wall:
Israel and the Arab World (Penguin: London, 2001) and Tom Segev - 1949: The
First Israelis (The Free Press: New York, 1986). Also the Shahak books that
Louis recommends (be warned that Shahak is like a red rag to a bull even to
moderate Zionists, who will contest some of his factual claims, particularly
concerning Jewish doctors helping non-Jewish patients on the sabbath);
Baruch Kimmerling's 'Politicide: Ariel Sharon's War Against the
Palestinians' (Verso: London, 2003) has some interesting stuff on the
militarisation of Israeli society from its inception. I believe John Rose -
The Myths of Zionism (Pluto Press: London, 2004) is also meant to be very
worth reading, but I don't know it.

Solidarity,
Ian