[Marxism] MTA threatens to eliminate check-off

David McDonald dbmcdonald at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 08:22:28 MST 2006

You have to have a lot of people, shop by shop, who collect the dues. The
point made in the SWP, I believe in one of Farrell Dobb's books, was that
such a practice put union officials, even shop stewards, immediately in the
firing line of their co-workers. Why should I pay my dues this month? What
have you done for me? I'm for it, myself. It would get a lot of union people
talking to other union people. So it takes a lot of time. I don't care.

Plus at 30,000 the TWA is not really that gigantic.

Louis Proyect:

 However, I can't imagine how in the world a huge union like the TWA could
really collect dues in any other way. Bureaucratic inertia would seem to be
a function of deeper structural/political issues.