[Marxism] Marxism: Iranian invasion|attack plans/

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sat Jan 28 09:54:56 MST 2006

David Walters wrote:

US plans to hit Iran militarily over it's nuclear energy policy (which
the US

sees as a threat to it because they believe it's a nuclear weapons
program).

The discussion involves what the US could do or would like to do. It
involves

the usual scenerios of bombing, how to get "all" the nuclear sites,
troops

landings, what the political backlash would do, etc. Howeve, along these
lines,

one such scenerio, which is very scary, is an 'abbrviated invasion" into
the

mostly Arab speaking part of Iran, Krushistan, where, incidently, much
of

Iran's petro-chemical industry is. Now, this is really scary be the US,
in

theory, already has enough in place to do something like this.

I want to solidarize with david, a perceptive  comrade, whom I often
disapgree with on matters

that we both think are substantive, in sounding  the alarm about the
seriousness of the threat of a US attack on Iran.
Do you see powerful Democrats warning against it? Peace activists? The
Washington Post? The New YOrk Times? Hilary Clinton?  OK, ridiculous
idea, Russell Reingold?
The issue is not, is this an adventure? No, Iraq was an adventure.  This
is more like madness.  But can Washington afford to have a Middle East
power other than Israel emerge as
a nuclear power? No.

And, of course, Iran is seeking nuclear capacity.  How else can they
effectively deter Washington and Israel.

Military power is Washington's strongest point.  Do not assume that all
Iran's threats can be backed up, because Washington doesn't.  Maybe an
attack will be an immediate disaster,l but maybe as in the case of
Iraq, it will take more time.

One reason why people are afraid of taking the threat against Iran
seriously is that we are afraid of having to take on the prejudices of
Iran in public opinion.

After all, this would be the anti\Isamofascism war, the feminist war,
the gay rights war.

But we have to take it on.  Only if there is real division at home can
we expect some sector of the ruling class to decisively put its thumb on
the scales againt.
Washington's problems in Iraq push it towards attacking Iran to cover a
partial retreat and to counter the gains for Iran which are central
consequences of the setback in Iraq.

We must operate on the assumption that the Iran attack is a totally
serious prospect.  And therefore we must fight  against it, not just
weigh various estimates.
The attack is far from inevitable, but our weight must be on the scales.
Marxism] Iranian invasion\attack plans?

  _____

In todays San Francisco Chronicle there is a detailed discussion/article
about

US plans to hit Iran militarily over it's nuclear energy policy (which
the US

sees as a threat to it because they believe it's a nuclear weapons
program).

The discussion involves what the US could do or would like to do. It
involves

the usual scenerios of bombing, how to get "all" the nuclear sites,
troops

landings, what the political backlash would do, etc. Howeve, along these
lines,

one such scenerio, which is very scary, is an 'abbrviated invasion" into
the

mostly Arab speaking part of Iran, Krushistan, where, incidently, much
of

Iran's petro-chemical industry is. Now, this is really scary be the US,
in

theory, already has enough in place to do something like this.s

<http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=6337
7&partner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!