[Marxism] Reformatted post on Iran

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Sat Jan 28 12:00:36 MST 2006

I suspect the US is not really in a position to take on the invasion and
occupation of Iran.  Of course, I predicted that the rhetorical
escalation over Iraq and Afghanistan wouldn't lead to war (these rank
right up there with my 1980 prediction that the Republicans wouldn't run
an actor for president).  I figured, very reasonably, that somebody in
Washington would point out what a quagmire these places would become and
how difficult it would be to extricate US troops.  In short, I
overestimated the intelligence of the masters in Washington.

Still, even the Republicans in Congress don't want another expensive
quagmire on their hands.

Much of the vilification of Iran and the saber-rattling is also
consistent with preparing the public mind for another "surgical" strike
by the Israeli.

ML