[Marxism] F.I.S.T. - the film

dwalters at marxists.org dwalters at marxists.org
Sat Jan 28 15:42:45 MST 2006

Paddy,
 I too enjoyed the film F.I.S.T. It was widely talked about among TDU members
when it came up. People cheered in the theatre when it was showing the cops
getting the shit beat out of them. This was not 'real working class characters'
however. It was knock off of Farrell Dobb's "Teamster Rebellion". As Louis
posted here last week, Hoffa was trained by the Trotskyist leadership of the
Mpls teamsters union.

The film is very loosly based on this. Apparently the producers, including
Stallone, wanted to do a direct "Teamsters Rebellion" movie. The SWP I believe
turned them down (idiots) and they were also afraid of the Teamters and getting
into a fight with them since the movie shows a trade union line a wee bit
different than what the IBT was putting forward, even in the late 1970s.

The film itself, the fight scene in front of the plant, was filimed on the main
entrance to the power plant I've been working out for 20 years. I drive down
and through those gates everyday! (it was filmed before I started working
there, however:)

David