[Marxism] MTA threatens to eliminate check-off

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Jan 28 20:14:35 MST 2006

> I would also point out that to my knowledge, French unions don't have
> closed shops or check-offs, and have carried out some of the most
> militant strikes anywhere.
>
> Jon Flanders
I agree, and have often wondered how and where they get their resources. I
think the ratio of union members to paid full-timers is less than North
America, largely becauser the French system of labour courts and sectoral
bargaining lowers the cost of negotiating and administering their ageements
and, of course, there is the more militant tradition in Europe which makes
it easier to conduct strikes, demonstations, and other forms of mass action.
But I'd like to know more, including how important a demand the closed shop
was or is.