[Marxism] Misgivings on Evo

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Tue Jan 31 16:25:30 MST 2006

RRubinelli writes:

"I agree that all should work to oppose the "balkanization" of
Bolivia-- the autonomizaton of Santa Cruz, etc.  And I, as I am sure
almost all others, will raise just that position at meetings of
ANSWER, etc.

But one question for Nestor:  If Morales decides to cut a deal,
allowing for just such Balkanization, or some variation of it that
weakens the struggle, strengthens the autonomists, what then?

Just a question for future consideration..."

1) I am glad that on this issue we shall be on the same side, dear RR
man, and you know I am sincere here. BTW please don't think so much
about Santa Cruz as about Tarija, where the first administrative
guerrilla is already launched.

2) The _basic and essential_ goal of Morales is to keep the country
unified and oil/gas under Bolivian sovereignty.  This is objective (a
necessity) and subjective (an expressed will).

If, in the midst of the battle, he strikes a wrong deal, he shall pay
it very dearly.

The question is who will cash the bill.  That is what shall we do if
he strikes a self-defeating deal (which, BTW, I am quite sure he
won't, and everyone on this list can look at old postings of mine on
Morales and you will learn that for a long time I was suspicious
myself of his positions and abilities, which I am not any more).  But
back to the question:

Shall we try to tear him down without making sure that there is
anything better to replace him, whether it is us or others who
provide that alternative?  Or we shall go to the masses and
"patiently explain" what is it that we think is happening, how should
we organize to make sure that the goals of Morales can be brought to
reality even if Morales has acted wrongly, etc.?

3)  As you see, dear Rrubinelli, point (2) implies that you and I are
in Bolivia or we are just chatterboxes trying to "solve the world
around a café table", as we say here in Buenos Aires.  I believe we
are neither. So that, honestly, I believe that all that we have to do
-IMHO- is, for the time being, to provide support, and if we have
some misgiving just keep it to ourselves or our closest friends.

Of course, you can place your magnifying glass on Morales, which is
completely reasonable.  But I prefer to stick to the task of the
moment.  Which is to offer Morales as much support as I can give
since he is fighting (no matter if well or wrong, he is fighting and
that is a just and good thing in itself) my own enemy.

And yours:

He is fighting, in an enormously difficult situation, the imperialist
bourgeoisies.  Believe it or not.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar