[Marxism] THE SUBJECTIVITY OF HAMAS

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 31 19:00:36 MST 2006

Sabri Oncu wrote:

> I did not see any hostility in Josh's comment Louis. First of all, he starts
> like this:

Everyone is assuming the "difficulty" of Mehmet's prose is a deliberate
choice (i.e., it is an instance of "postmodernist" prosej). He will
probably respond for himself, but in the meantime, look at the opening
sentences:

"After the recent democratic victory of Hamas, the familiar refrains of
'liberal' democratic songs has began to ejaculate. The initial reaction
was a firm denouncement of violence which has been revamping its face as
an armed government."

That is not "postmodern" -- it is English as a second language! Mehmet's
English is quite good on the whole, but the more complex the substance
itself is the more difficult, I would expect, it is to express in a
language not one's native tongue? "The familiar strains has begun to
ejaculate." That's not pomo or deliberate difficulty, but the wrong
choice of an English verb.

So I support Lou's take. Cut him some slack, and perhaps try rephrasing
some of it for him.

Carrol