[Marxism] A Stand in the Forest

Jesse Jack jjack99645 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 18:56:48 MDT 2006

I see. I misunderstood; I thought you (or the article) were trying to say
that the Trans-Alaska Pipeline was the cause of permafrost thawing.

I have spent my entire life living in Alaska. There are a lot of people
around these parts that are eager to believe anything the ultra-right spits
out. At the same time, a lot of green-type groups and people come poking
around the state for a couple days (or never at all), go home and think they
know everything about it. Then when they say something about Alaska that
Alaskans know is obviously untrue, it only weakens their argument and makes
it easier for people to believe the sort of crap that people like Don Young
have to say. (Read this gem:
http://www.adn.com/news/environment/warming/story/7748402p-7659322c.html) I
guess I'm just on the lookout for misinformation regarding my homeland.

Anyway, it's fairly obvious that global warming is no hoax. It's fairly
obvious that something is going on when you hear middle-aged people telling
you that when they were kids they could see the Portage Glacier from the
Seward highway. If there's any truth to that, the glacier must have
retreated miles over the past 40 years.