[Marxism] Looking at the White Working Class Historically

James Daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 3 05:34:00 MDT 2006

http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/profiles/lwwch.html

Looking at the White Working Class Historically
by David Gilbert

One of the supreme issues for our movement is summed-up in the
contradictions of the term “white working class”. On one hand there is
the class designation that should imply, along with all other workers
of the world, a fundamental role in the overthrow of capitalism. On
the other hand, there is the identification of being part of a
 (“white”) oppressor nation.

Historically, we must admit that the identity with the oppressor
nation has been primary. There have been times of fierce struggle
around economic issues but precious little in the way of a
revolutionary challenge to the system itself. There have been moments
of uniting with Black and other Third World workers in union
struggles, but more often than not an opposition to full equality and
a disrespect for the self-determination of other oppressed peoples.
These negative trends have been particularly pronounced within the
current era of history (since WW2). White labor has been either a
legal opposition within or an active component of the U.S. imperial
system.

There have been two basic responses to this reality by the white left.
1) The main position by far has been opportunism. This has entailed an
unwillingness to recognize the leading role within the U.S. of
national liberation struggles, a failure to make the fight against
white supremacy a conscious and prime element of all organizing, and,
related to the above, a general lack of revolutionary combativeness
against the imperial state. More specifically, opportunism either
justifies the generally racist history of the white working class and
our left or romanticizes that history by presenting it as much more
anti-racist than reality merits. 2) Our own tendency, at its best
moments, has recognized the leading role of national liberation and
the essential position of solidarity to building any revolutionary
consciousness among whites. We have often, however, fallen into an
elitist or perhaps defeatist view that dismisses the possibility of
organizing significant numbers of white people particularly working
class whites.

There is very little analysis, and even less practice, that is both
real about the nature and consciousness of the white working class and
yet holds out the prospect of organizing a large number on a
revolutionary basis. This fissure will not be joined by some magical
leap of abstract thought – either by evoking classical theories of
class or by lapsing into cultural or biological determinism. We must
use our tools of analysis (materialism) to understand concretely how
this contradiction developed (historically). But an historical view
can not be static. In seeing how certain forces developed, we must
also look (dialectically) at under what conditions and through what
means the contradiction can be transformed.

In this review, I want to look at three historical studies that
contribute to the needed discussion: 1) Ted Allen’s two essays in
White Supremacy (a collection printed by Sojourner Truth
Organization); 2) W.E.B. DuBois, Black Reconstruction (New York: 1933)
3); J. Sakai, Settlers: The Mythology of the White Proletariat
(Chicago: 1983)

Clip

J. Daly