[Marxism] Huber Matos, Re Query re alleged Che quote

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 01:26:50 MDT 2006

On 7/5/06, Fred Feldman <ffeldman at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Did Che ever carry out this policy, that is killing ALL HIS OPPONENTS
> AND THEIR CHILDREN? Just showing that some opponents ended up dead would
> not do, right, since "Che" is stating a basic law of political struggle?
> So how come Batista was never killed? And why wasn't Huber Matos killed
> and so many others?

Out of curiosity, I looked up Huber Matos in Wikipedia. Wikipedia says that
Che did want to kill Matos, but that Fidel prevented the execution.

This is what Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huber_Matos

"In September 1959, Matos made his final, fateful decision. He wrote,
"Communist influence in the government has continued to grow. I have to
leave power as soon as possible. I have to alert the Cuban people as to what
is happening." On October 19 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_19>, he
sent a second letter of resignation to Castro. Two days later, Castro sent
fellow revolutionary Camilo
Cienfuegos<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilo_Cienfuegos>to arrest
Matos. The same day Matos was arrested,
Miami <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami%2C_Florida> Cuban
exile<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_exile> Pedro
Díaz <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Pedro_D%C3%ADaz&action=edit>,
former air force chief of staff under Castro, dropped leaflets into Havana
that called for the removal of all Communists from the government. In
response, Castro called for a show of hands at a political rally in favor of
executing the two dissidents <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissident>. The
crowd responded with "*Paredón*" ("To the wall.")

"Following the rally, Castro called a government meeting to determine
Matos's fate. Che and Raul favored execution, and three ministers who
questioned Castro's version of events were immediately replaced by
government loyalists. In the end, however, Castro decided against execution,
explaining that "I don't want to turn him into a martyr."
"A trial that began on December 11<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_11>,
1959, found Matos guilty of "treason and sedition" and sentenced him to
twenty years imprisonment, most of which were spent at the Isla de la
Juventud <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isla_de_la_Juventud>, where Castro
had been imprisoned in 1953 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953>. According
to Matos, "[p]rison was a long agony from which I emerged alive because of
God's will. I had to go on hunger strikes, mount other types of protests.
Terrible. On and off, I spent a total of sixteen years in solitary
confinement, constantly being told that I was never going to get out alive,
that I had been sentenced to die in prison. They were very cruel, to the
fullest extent of the word... I was tortured on several occasions [...]

"Matos was released from prison on October
21<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_21>,
1979 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979>, having served out his full term.
He was reunited in Costa Rica <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Rica> with
his wife and children, who had left Cuba in
1963<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963>,
and moved to Miami."

So, what's the actual deal? What did he (Huber Matos) actually do? Is there
something the Wikipedia article is not saying? Just curious.... would like
to know more about this.

-Sayan.