[Marxism] Left and Right [was Education, Racism, and the Nuclear Unconscious]

Intense Red intnsred at golgotha.net
Mon Jul 10 07:56:36 MDT 2006

   Your critique of the use of left/right is dead-on.  Those terms and that
spectrum are so vague they're almost completely useless.  (But we still use
them!)

 > The real spectrum doesn't really run horizontally left and right but
 > vertically up and down, based on who has and doesn't have power.

   I can agree with that and your other statements, but the power/no-power
concept isn't useful in indicating basic ideologies let alone generalizing or
predicting someone's stance on a given issue.

   As a replacement to the left/right idea, I sort of like the 2-axis
political compass (see <http://politicalcompass.org/>; an overview at
<http://politicalcompass.org/analysis2.php>).  It's still not perfect but
it's a vast improvement.

 In solidarity.

--
"In 2001, the top 20 percent of households for the first time raked in more
than half of all income, while the share earned by those in the middle was