Zidane Re: [Marxism] France v. Italy

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 12:28:25 MDT 2006

On 7/10/06, Anna Fierling <anna_fierling at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greg Dunkel <gdunkel at mindspring.com> wrote:    One interesting point - 2/3 of French team is Black or Arab. This has
> raised the issue of racism in sports, with Le Pen, the fascist head of
> the Front National, complaining that it is not a "French" team.
>
> /greg
>
>   Here is a pretty good article with more on Le Pen and how the French team has spoken out against him:
>
>   http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0707-22.htm
>
>   Zidane, Thuram, and Henry have been particularly sharp and eloquent in their denunciations of racism, as this article demonstrates.
>
>   Yesterday's game ended in a shocking and bizarre manner; while the French and German press are excoriating Zizou, I think that ultimately his stature as the greatest player since Maradona, and as an exemplary public figure, should not be diminished - although it may take several years for people to gain the perspective to judge him, after yesterday's astonishing events.
>

> Anna Fierling
> Otto-Suhr-Institut
> FU-Berlin

My respect for Zidane is undiminished, though I don't understand what
possessed him to erupt in anger at what could have been one of the
most glorious moments of his career.

Here's an interesting article about Zidane:
Andrew Hussey, "Zidane said : I come from and I am still proud to be
who I am : first, a Kabyle from La Castellane," 10 July 2004
<http://www.kabyles.com/article.php3?id_article=2271>
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>