[Marxism] Re: Nipple Twister

Jon Flanders jonflanders at jflan.net
Mon Jul 10 18:44:24 MDT 2006

Whatever the Italiam said, racist or otherwise, the NY Times video clip,
which was shot from behind the two, showed the Italian literally holding
Zidane back from behind, preventing him from pursuing the ball. I
suspect this tactic was used throughout the game by the Italian side,
and reportedly Zidane complained about it repeatedly to no avail. Any
comments made at the time of the incident must have been the final
straw.

While I have become something of a soccer fan after watching this World
Cup, it is clear to me from reading Joe McGinniss's book on Italian
soccer
"The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro: a Tale of Passion and Folly in the
Heart of Italy", that the game is riddled with match rigging, racism and
all the ills that big money brings to sports.

After reading McGinniss, I certainly think, by the way, that the players
are implicated in the goings on, if only as obedient employees not
wanting to lose their jobs. "Its the "systema" Joe, one of the players
told him.

Jon Flanders