[Marxism] Nuclear Issues

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 10:20:51 MDT 2006

On 7/11/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
> >In addition, should we have second thoughts about nuclear issues in
> >general?  Is the politics of abolitionism with regard to nuclear
> >weapons still tenable?  How about nuclear energy?
> >--
> >Yoshie
>
> Historically, Marxists have participated in the peace movement with the
> slogan of unilateral disarmament.

Yes, but that one seems dead to me.  Even before the anti-war movement
in general died in the USA and the rest of the West, the mobilizations
that centered on abolitionism (ones called by UFPJ and the like) never
got anywhere.  It's just too far away from the real world balance of
forces.  Besides, the middle strata of the West no longer feel an
existential fear of Soviet nukes, so they don't care about
abolitionism any more, even as a symbolic issue.

Since that movement has practically disappeared, we have a freer hand,
so to speak, to develop our own position, first of all through debate.
 But what might that be?

> On nuclear energy, we would tend to
> soft-pedal objection to 3rd world countries using it. This is obviously
> going to loom larger as the energy crisis deepens, with some Greens calling
> for stepped up use of nuclear power. This is not to speak of the batty
> ex-Marxists in Spiked-online, including the blogger I referred to who has
> the chutzpah to try to mix CLR James with Ayn Rand!

If not nuclear energy, it seems to me that countries would go for
coal, which would be worse for global warming, though it might revive
miners' unions.

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>