[Marxism] Nuclear Issues

c.courtenayquirk at comcast.net c.courtenayquirk at comcast.net
Tue Jul 11 13:14:53 MDT 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:30 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> DCQ:
>> In the abstract, Marxists should have nothing to fear from nuclear
>> energy. We are not Luddites.
>
> It has been years since I looked closely at these questions, but from
> a simple economics standpoint, nuclear power does not make sense. I
> would refer you to Charlie Komanoff's website:
> http://www.komanoff.net/. Charlie was on the board of Tecnica, the
> technical aid volunteer program I was involved with in the late 80s.
> He ran a consulting company that provided expert testimony on nuclear
> power plants in environmentalist legal cases. This is a good summary:
> http://www.komanoff.net/nuclear_power/10_blows.php

Correct. Our current ability to manipulate atomic energy is
fantastically inefficient. It's basically the equivalent of trying to
light a candle with a grenade. We currently know so little about
nuclear energy and the actual physical processes by which matter is
"converted" into energy that this is not surprising. Given our present
understanding, nuclear power is only "economical" given massive
government subsidies and if we disregard the environmental
consequences. (Of course, oil is only "economical" because of a
combination of government subsidies (tax cuts, building and maintaining
roads, etc.), the natural supply, and, again, our disregard for the
environment.) Governments are willing to fund nuclear power because of
the military edge and ideological factors.

This is why I said, "in the abstract"; I was imagining a possible world
a couple of centuries from now in which scientists and engineers are
freed from economic/competitive/military pressures and are able to
really understand the nature of matter and energy, and manipulate it
efficiently and safely (or not at all), because they will have only the
good of humanity to consider. (Theoretically, there is no reason for a
nuclear reaction to be radioactive, and even less so for a
thermonuclear reaction; it's just that our current understanding is so
rudimentary that we can only split these incredibly large and unstable
atoms.)