[Marxism] Nuclear Issues

DCQ deeseekyou at comcast.net
Tue Jul 11 13:54:12 MDT 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:48 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Also, what doesn't make sense economically may make sense politically.
> Russian nukes give Russia an ability to pursue a course independent
> of Washington when Moscow sees it in its interest to do so.

And this is where we should point out the insanity of the system of
international competition. Essentially the logic is thus: under modern
capitalism if a country wants to pursue an independent course, they
have a powerful incentive to develop a technology who's only use is to
indiscriminately kill millions of people (mostly poor and working
class).

What a perfect indictment of the moral and political bankruptcy of
contemporary capitalism.

More to the point, is it really the nuclear weapons that allow it to
pursue an independent course? (And how independent is that course,
really?) If so, why is Britain such a lap-dog to the US? And why has
Cuba managed to stay independent without them?

Is it a good thing for the Russian oligarchs and robber-barons to have
to have nuclear weapons at their disposal?