[Marxism] Nuclear Issues

c.courtenayquirk at comcast.net c.courtenayquirk at comcast.net
Tue Jul 11 13:39:37 MDT 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> On 7/11/06, DCQ <deeseekyou at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I don't believe that we should soft-pedal our opposition to nuclear
>> power, but explain it.
> <snip>
>> Which brings us to the politics of nuclear weapons. We should oppose
>> them. Period. No government should have them, starting with ours.
>
> But we have both already, if we mean the United States, and we won't
> get rid of them in the near future.  Our position needs to be based on
> reality.

True. And I'm of the opinion that we should dismantle our weapons
stockpile. I was also under the impression that that was the standard
revolutionary position.

Hell, we have to constantly refresh our stockpile as it is, since our
thermonuclear weapons use tritium, which has a half-life of just over
12 years. All we have to do to make our vast and dangerous stockpile
obsolete is lock them in a closet for a decade.

Do I think that a theoretical, non-reality-based < ;) >, future
revolutionary American government should keep nuclear weapons as a
deterrent against attack from the other major powers? Hell no.

As for nuclear reactors, we should shut them down and take them
off-line asap. They're far too dangerous and poisonous to allow to
continue to function. As for the real-world practical energy needs, we
could vastly reduce our energy consumption with simple urban planning;
building large sky-scraper residential buildings and connecting them to
train lines that are powered by a combination of traditional
fossil-fuel power-plants and solar-power cells along the train lines is
something that could be begun in a few months. And as scientists
concentrate on increasing solar-power cell and power transmission
efficiency, the fossil-fuel plants can be taken off-line as well.

If you want something more "reality-based," you'll have to let me know
what you mean and give me some specifics.