[Marxism] Japan and the United States

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 14:13:35 MDT 2006

On 7/11/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a vicious circle, too: you have no hope of governing a country,
> so you sound like an irrelevant opposition, and since you sound like
> an irrelevant opposition, you get no closer to taking power -- nay,
> you get even more irrelevant than before.  Repeat that endlessly.  :-|
>
> Unfortunately, Japan and the United States aren't like Tuvalu.  If
> they were, it wouldn't matter whether leftists in these two countries
> amounted to anything.  These are the two countries whose policy has
> the gravest implications for world economy.
>
> How do we break the vicious circle of powerlessness and irrelevance?

I think that the message that capitalism is unsustainable and is leading the
planet to ruin (global warming, etc) is an argument that needs to be
forcefully made.  Most people, however apathetic they might be politically,
nevertheless feel a huge concern in their children's and grandchildren's
well being, and when the realization begins to dawn that this is what is at
stake, apathy may conceivably be overcome.

-Sayan.