[Marxism] A Strategic Principle for the U.S. Left, was Japan, Article 9 . . .

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 13:29:07 MDT 2006

On 7/14/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> > When you are sure to lose, there are two ways to lose: lose by doing
> > the same old thing, which has led to the imminent defeat; or lose by
> > doing something new, which may not lead to a victory in the near
> > future but can build a foundation for a better future in the long
> > term.  If you have to lose, lose better.
>
> This bears development, which I shall not attempt at this time. An
> obvious example of a _failure_ to follow this principle would be the
> ABBs of 2004. Another example might be the assumption that _the_ purpose
> of the Anti-War Movement at the present time is to end the war in Iraq.
> That is absurd. There is no way we can muster the strength to do that.
> Hence anti-war activity must be regarded primarily as building cadre and
> organization for future battles.
>
> Carrol

Sam Gindin and Leo Panitch said something similar with regard to the
labor movement -- focus on capacity building:
<http://www.monthlyreview.org/300gind.htm>.

On 7/14/06, Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Carrol Cox writes:
>
> >Another example might be the assumption that _the_ purpose
>  of the Anti-War Movement at the present time is to end the war in Iraq.
> > That is absurd. There is no way we can muster the strength to do that.
> > Hence anti-war activity must be regarded primarily as building cadre and
> > organization for future battles.
> =========================
> Now that's a discouraging perspective. A sizeable mass constituency for
> ending the war exists comparable that which opposed the Vietnam war. As
> Stephen Zunes recently wrote, "public opinion polls indicate that the
> majority of Americans and the vast majority of Democrats nationwide" support
> removing US troops by the end of this year, and "a recent Le Moyne
> College/Zogby International poll revealed that 72% of U.S. troops serving in
> Iraq believe that the United States should end its operations in that
> country by the end of 2006" (http://www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/3346).

Yes, anti-war opinions are widely held, but how strongly and
passionately?  Opposition can be broad but shallow.  If so, it's not
efficacious, unlikely to give rise to massive militant actions.

Also, we have to realize that this is not a reprise of the Vietnam
War.  There is no National Liberation Front on the Iraqi side, there
is no draft on the American side, and old social movements -- labor,
women's, Black, etc. -- have died, and the new one -- immigrants -- is
only in its infancy (if it doesn't die prematurely).

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>