[Marxism] New York Times presses Wall Street's marching orders for new mayor of Liberated Newark

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sat Jul 15 11:23:25 MDT 2006

Well, Newark is actually where I spend almost all my time, working and
sleeping.  So I just don't care if this wastes the people's bandwidth.
The people have a lot of other things to worry about.

The hoopla (low level because this is, after all, Newark) over the
election of Newark including the earlier video on his oppressed and
persecuted campaign against the local machine here  comes complete with
nationally circulated documentary and all the fixings.  Unlike the
Giuliani documentary, which is right about Giuliani but wrong about
everybody who came before and whose title is based on a misquotation of
cops inspired by Abner Louima's anti-Giuliani advisers, the Booker
documentary is right about the machine but wrong about the answer, which
is Booker, of course.

Booker is Wall Street's candidate, replacing the demagogues who ran out
of gas, with the New York Times favorite kind of ruler for semicolonial
backwaters: a technocrat.

Booker reminds me of a comment by the late  Louisiana Governor Earl Long
(brother of Huey, for whom I have a soft spot partly because of
entertaining movie like Rossen's "All the King's Men" and Kazan's "A
Face in the Crowd" in which the Long character is the only person with
any character, talent, or ideas in a roomful of whiners).

"Someday the people of Louisiana will get government," the Long sibling
predicted.  "And they ain't gonna like it."

That sums up the future of Liberated Newark in a nutshell.
Fred Feldman

July 15, 2006
Editorial

Why Newark Matters

After helping the police chase down a robbery suspect in downtown Newark
the other day, Mayor Cory Booker shouted at the man, "Not in our city
anymore." The new mayor's words and actions may have been melodramatic,
but they symbolized the hopes he has raised for Newark, and for other
struggling small cities that are watching his progress.

Newark, a city of 270,000, has struggled for years under the burdens of
crime, poverty, failing schools and corruption. Mr. Booker has come to
power on the promise that he can succeed where others have failed. His
personal magnetism, his command of the issues and his willingness to
challenge conventional wisdom have attracted national attention to
Newark's plight.

Not long after his inauguration on July 1, Mr. Booker announced a
typically ambitious plan to reorganize Newark's notoriously inefficient
municipal government over the next 100 days. A more cautious public
official might have added, as John F. Kennedy did in his inaugural
address, that such problems cannot be solved in 100 days, or 1,000 days,
or even in the life of a single administration. Instead, Mr. Booker has
set a deadline and invited Newark residents to hold him to it.

His urgency is understandable. Newark's moment is now. If the city is to
rid itself of corruption and shady dealing, if its demoralized police
force is to be reinvigorated, and if businesses are to be convinced that
the city is a sound investment, Mr. Booker cannot afford to linger.