[Marxism] Re: Mumbai & Train Bombers

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 11:33:17 MDT 2006

On 7/15/06, hari.kumar at sympatico.ca <hari.kumar at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> 1) A number of well informed correspondents from India have recently
> commented on this atrocity.
> I just want to ask them, whether it is a given that this was not a
> provocation on the part of the Indian state? I recall many questions
> surrounding the last major attack - which certainly was not so costly in
> human life- around the Parliament.

I would doubt it, for the  reason that this kind of incident makes the state
look pretty bad (it is perceived as having to failed to have gathered
intelligence and protected citizens).

Secondly in relation to the comments around Kashmir - to my thinking, the
> question of Kashmir reflects the multi-national make up of the current
> Indian state. To what extent is this considered by the Indian correspondents
> here, as still a meaningful question in India today?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.  In general, I think,  with
India's entry into  globalization two things have happened:  (1)  the
"multi-nationality" of the Indian state  is perceived as  something in tune
with the ethos of globalization, and  thus tends to get more affirmed, at
least among the elite, thus undermining the Hindu right's vision of "purity"
which earlier had a larger purchase or mindshare on parts of the elite; and
(2) "It's the economy, stupid!" has become an ethos more dominant than
before, and the imperative to succeed in the global economy has made the
elites somewhat more seriously inclined to solve the Kashmir problem even if
it means relinquishing territory, since the Kashmir problem is perceived as
a drag pulling down India's economy.

-Sayan.