[Marxism] "Antisemitism in the Movement"?

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 15:49:01 MDT 2006

On 7/15/06, Ian Pace <ian at ianpace.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to be fair-minded here - if the question was about sexism or
> homophobia on the left, for example, I would imagine you would say that
> has
> to be taken seriously, and would get quite annoyed with those who say it's
> non-issue (correct me if I'm wrong on that)? It hardly sends the best
> signals when the left are alert to prejudice amongst themselves directed
> towards 'in' groups (women, Muslims, Asians, Blacks, etc.) and not towards
> what are now 'out' groups (Jewish people, perhaps at one point Serbs in
> some
> organisations, etc.).

I think the problem with the event announcement was not that such an event
is being held (discussion and debate can only be a good thing), but that, in
the announcement, some things are stated to be authoritatively true, as a
basic premise of the discussion that will take place. For instance, the
announcement says:

"Antiauthoritarians and social justice activists often think they're
immune from racism and prejudice." (1)

"But many Jewish activists'
experience shows that forms of antisemitism are alive and well in the
social justice movement." (2)

"This not only drives away many Jewish
activists, but profoundly affects our work as a movement." (3)

Sentences (1), (2) and (3) are, thus, being presented as "truths",
whereas they should have been presented as "questions", not as
"true statements", in the announcement.

 For example,

"Is there antisemitism in the social justice movement?"
"Are Jewish activists being driven away from the movement?"

etc.

would have been much better starting points for a fair discussion.

-Sayan.