[Marxism] What Planet Do They Live On? "Antisemitism inthe Movement"?

Ian Pace ian at ianpace.com
Sat Jul 15 19:39:48 MDT 2006

From: "kersplebedeb" <info at kersplebedeb.com>

This is an excellent post, I just want to ask one question (a big one!):

> My own position is that anti-semitism exists in many different sections of
> North American society. There is no significant structural anti-semitism
> (though there can be cases of structural marginalization of all
> minorities, in which case Jews are effected) of any kind, but that does
> not mean anti-semitism does not exist. Furthermore, "society" is not some
> big container, which we can just measure the anti-semitism content of. In
> some sections of "society" - for instance the far right - i would argue
> that anti-semitism plays a role of critical importance. (For more on this
> you can see a posting i made last year at
> http://sketchythoughts.blogspot.com/2005/12/anti-semitism-revolutionary-right.html)
>
> Keeping that point in mind, i feel the issue is not that anti-semitism is
> more or less prevalent on the left than on the right, but that
> anti-semitism has a strategic importance when it occurs on the left, in
> that it provides one possible pathway from the revolutionary left to the
> revolutionary right. In a non-revolutionary situation like the one we are
> living in, many think "who cares" - but in the kind of revolutionary
> situation i think we should be working towards, this could become a
> critical weakness.

Do you thus believe that anti-semitism has an ontological role in terms of
far-right politics, or is it a symptom of something else? What I'm trying to
ask is something akin to the 'intentionalist'/'functionalist' argument as
regards the Third Reich and the Holocaust. It's worth bearing in mind that
the British National Party do have a Jewish councillor at the moment. A
cynical move, of course, and the woman in question is in no sense
representative of the wider Jewish community (and many in that community
have been at pains to distance themselves from her); nonetheless it does
make me wonder whether anti-semitism necessarily is of such a priori
significance at all times on the far right.

Solidarity,
Ian