[Marxism] Anti-semitism

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 13:34:20 MDT 2006

On 7/16/06, kersplebedeb <info at kersplebedeb.com> wrote:
> Well Yoshie, i think we're at the point that we will just have to agree
> to disagree.
>
> And - for what it's worth - i think if some Asian comrades would want to
> hold an event, produce a pamphlet, do a workshop or whatever because
> they felt the left could benefit from some education about anti-Asian
> racism, this would be fine.

Generally speaking, I don't see much value in anti-racist,
anti-sexist, etc. "workshops."  They tend to build some people's
"social justice" careers, giving talks to activists, students,
corporate managers, etc., but they have no impact on the structures of
oppression.

If Asians and many other people of color don't join leftist
organizations, that's probably because they don't see any point in
doing so.  To make them see a point, we have to win some winnable
struggles and raise our profile.  There is nothing like a strike
victory to sell the idea of unionizing.  The same goes for joining
leftist organizations.

> My point has never been to argue that Jews are structurally oppressed,
> but that this lack of structural oppression should not make us angry
> with those who feel that an examination of anti-semitism - *even within
> the left* - is a legitimate thing to do.

Well, guarding against a phantom menace can make you paranoid, of the
sort satirized by Woody Allen in Annie Hall:

You know, I was having lunch with some guys from NBC, so I said, 'Did
you eat yet or what?' And Tom Christie said, 'No, JEW?' Not 'Did
you?'...JEW eat? JEW? You get it? JEW eat?

And that satire was made about thirty years ago.
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>