[Marxism] WP: "US, Israel Aim to Weaken Hezbollah, Region's Militants"

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Mon Jul 17 01:59:03 MDT 2006

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:59:51 -0400, Marvin Gandall wrote:

> There is a strong feeling on the left that the Israelis
> are trying to draw Syria and Iran into a climactic showdown,
> but I don't see what compelling strategic objectives
> would be served by their doing this.

  They might be see themselves compelled to attack Syria and/or Iran by
the dynamic of the war they have launched, even if they didn't intend it
at the beginning.

> If the US and Israelis actually do think they could
> "win" a war against the Iranians at the present time - in
> the sense of being able to install a sympathetic regime
> in Tehran - then I would have to revise my overall
> political understanding to account for a much greater
> degree of irrationality and a much lesser degree of
> self-interest and cold calculation in the way the capitalist system
> operates - including on the military front.

  You probably DO have to revise.

  The irrationality of the capitalist society lies already in the main
props of its ideologie, namely thinking that it is eternal, and that the
power of the ruling minority can do everything. Add to this the
blindness of the military apparatus, which is blinded by the superiority
of their weaponry over that of the "enemy"...

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany