[Marxism] Political issues around the Japanese constitution

Lajany Otum lajany_otum at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 18 22:49:24 MDT 2006

There is a long and interesting discussion of Japanese
constitutional issues on the Japan Focus website. Brief
extract:

A couple of observations. One is, taking the structure
of the state as a whole, it seems to me that Koizumi is
trying to fuse neoliberalism and neonationalism, and
that one requires the other. In other words, as you
dissolve society, as you dissolve all the intermediate
organizations that people depend on, then you need
to reinforce the state, you need patriotism, you need
nationalism. But it’s not genuine nationalism or
patriotism, since the key thrust of all of this is to turn
Japan into what Gotoda Masaharu calls a “zokkoku,”
a vassal state. The more Koizumi structurally
subordinates Japan to the United States, the more
it’s necessary for him to stand up and say, We
Japanese are glorious and wonderful, and we go to
Yasukuni. Yasukuni is required by the vassal-state
status that he’s embracing for Japan.

Full:
< http://www.japanfocus.org/products/details/2175 >