[Marxism] NYC rally against Israeli aggression

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Wed Jul 19 12:09:10 MDT 2006

Responding to Yoshie's inquiry, it was, as a couple of other people
noted, a very spirited demonstration of, perhaps, 1,000 people. I
took a bus to the rally and passed it going downtown at about 4:45.
At that point the area reserved, a one-block stretch, was packed
except for the sidewalk area left open for pedestrians. And it
continued to grow for some time after that. Others have commented on
the demographics -- a lot of young people and Arabs, especially
Lebanese, as might be expected. I even ran into one of our high
school interns, a young Lebanese woman, who thanked me for showing up
and said she had found out about the demonstration on Pacifica radio
station WBAI, which she had only recently started listening to.

I heard from a number of people, all Arabs, that publicity for the
demonstration was lacking, and that they had heard by word of mouth
only days or hours before. According to one woman I spoke to, an Arab
member of ISO, this reflects, in part, the historic marginalization
of the Arab community (and generally, oppressed communities) from the
anti-war movement. This problem was also reflected in a dialogue
between another Lebanese woman and a liberal demonstrator. At one
point, a Zionist came into the demonstration and began haranguing us
about being terrorists, etc., etc. The young Lebanese woman responded
angrily, telling the Zionist that she was in the in the wrong place
and should leave. The liberal, an older white woman, went over to the
Arab woman and told her "what you have to do is tell them 'we want
peace, we want peace'.

Following the end of the demonstration, a sizeable group of
protestors marched down 42nd Street, harangued and threatened
continuously by a police lieutenant and his troops, "you had your
demonstration, now end it on a good note," he said. The crowd
continued to march several blocks before the lieutenant roped in one
of the rally organizers (I don't know who he was or what organization
he was with) and had him disperse the crowd, "so we can maintain good
relations with the police."

There will be another demonstration on July 27, and thereafter, for
as long as the aggression continues.
--
Michael Friedman
Doctoral Candidate in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior

Molecular Systematics Laboratory
Department of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
79th Street at Central Park West