[Marxism] Fwd: Fri 7/21 Emergency Action at the US Mission -- UFPJ Calls for Immediate Ceasefire

Steffie Brooks steffie.brooks at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 04:54:37 MDT 2006

The call by UFPJ and the letter they intend to deliver to John Bolton
this Friday (see below) is very different than I expected based on
initial discussions I heard.

I do not like the call for the Bush administration to broker peace:

"We urgently call on the Bush administration to work with
international partners to broker an immediate and unconditional
cease-fire and commence negotiations to peacefully resolve the crisis"
 -- . (from the letter to John Bolton):

The crisis that exists is exactly the doing of the Bush administration
(and his predecessors) already. Although UFPJ is delivering a letter
to John Bolton and needs to demand SOMETHING, the best demand is to
stop supporting Israel. Any call for the Bush administration to
moderate Israel simply conjures illusions about the Bush
administration's "neutrality" in Palestine and, ironically, feeds the
"AIPAC Made Me Do It" trope that lets US imperialist poicy in the
Middle East totally off the hook.

The call and the letter to Bolton decry the bloodshed but take no
stance on who is the aggressor and who is the aggressee. Its studied
neutrality is offensive to me.

NONETHELESS, the central message is the call for an immediate ceasefire.

On the basis of that demand ALONE -- an Immediate Ceasefire -- I will
be there on Friday to talk to other folks who turn out.

Steffie