[Marxism] David Walsh on "The Devil Wears Prada"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 20 12:12:04 MDT 2006

Louis Proyect wrote:

> The best commentary on all
> that of course is "Sullivan's Travels" in which a Hollywood director tired
> of making musical comedies goes to live with hoboes in order to research
> his next film, which will be about the Great Depression. In the course of
> his travels, he discovers that making people laugh is no sin.

I saw that movie, but I cannot for the life of me remember when or
where. In my memory the director was played by Humphrey Bogart, and at
one point he is in a chain gang who get to see a comedy, and it is the
uproarious laughter of his fellow convicts that persuades him of the
importance of comedy. Is that correct. My memory is pretty vague but
that scene, or a snapshot of it, sticks in my mind.

Carrol