[Marxism] Answer attacks UFPJ

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 08:21:46 MDT 2006

On 7/21/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
> UFPJ: The Absence of Moral Character
<snip>
> On July 18, 2006, during peak wholesale murders at the hands of the
> Israeli military, United for Peace and Justice (UFPJ) issued a
> statement that condemned the popular resistance movement in Lebanon as
> it equated it with Israeli actions. This was followed by a call on
> July 19, in which UFPJ not only completely eliminated Palestine (once
> again) from the political scene, but also escalated its condemnation of
> the resistance and declared that it was in violation of International
> Law. UFPJ went further to echo the US administration's own political
> constructs, that the Israeli forces should not use a "disproportionate
> response" - as if a proportionate one exists, and as if the violence of
> colonists is just a mere "response".
>
> UFPJ's statements join the US-proxy regimes of Saudi Arabia, Jordan,
> and Egypt, in holding the popular resistance movement responsible for
> the savagery of Zionist colonial conquest - a textbook example of
> blaming the victim.
>
> Given that the vast majority of the Arab masses support popular Arab
> resistance movements, condemning this movement from the vantage point
> of a privileged people is very troubling.
<snip>
> Free Palestine Alliance - July 20, 2006
> info @ freepalestinealliance.org

Now, I haven't read the UFPJ statements in question, but if they went
out of their way to condemn Hizbullah as the above statement claims, I
agree that such condemnation is uncalled for.  But this FPA statement
is also uncalled for (there are things that you might want to blog
about on your personal blog but don't want to put down as an official
position of your organization), and it just shows that both ANSWER and
UFPJ have not and are not getting anywhere.

About 10,000, mainly US citizens and residents of Arab descent, are
said to have demonstrated in Dearborn, while only about 1,000 each
showed up in New York and DC.

Just like predominantly Latino immigrant rights demonstrations, the
Dearborn protest shows that the only pockets of substantial resistance
left in the United States, when it comes to opposition to war and
imperialism, too, are immigrant communities.
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>