[Marxism] Ahmadinejad, an Islamic Feminist (was Reflections on Iran)

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 14:00:08 MDT 2006

On 7/21/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/21/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
> > I must say that my initial reaction to the MRZine articles was a bit on
the
> > cool side if for no other reason that I was deeply involved in defending
> > far more deep-going revolution in Nicaragua at the time.
>
> Hey, better late than never!  Between the two revolutions that
> overthrew neocolonial regimes at the same time, which one survived to
> modernize society?

Oh, Yoshie!

Why must you say such things?  It doesn't help your argument at all.

This is really whiggish history.  The Iranian Revolution has survived and
"modernized" society, but the Nicaraguan Revolution was defeated, ipso facto
the Iranian Revolution is where we should throw our support and the
Nicaraguan Revolution... What? Should have been dismissed?  Wasn't closer to
the kind of revolutionary movement that we would want to support than
triumphal Iran?

The Nicaraguan revolution was crushed with bloody terrorism with the help of
the current people in the Bush Regime including terrorist-in-chief
Negroponte.  You know this.  Nicaragua was a small country close to the
United States that the U.S. had controlled one way or another even before it
was a world imperial power.  Iran is a big country and after the experience
of the rather small scale campaign against Mossadeq they weren't going to go
down without a real fight.  The Nicaraguans also put up a real fight, (maybe
they could have done better somehow) but unfortunately overwhelming violence
often wins.

I don't want to attack Iran and feed fire of a U.S. war drive, but I do know
if I were there, with my hatred of organized religion, my doctrinaire
atheism,  my love for wine, whiskey, and sexually explicit movies such as
"Blow Up" and "Mummer of the Heart" and all of my homosexual friends, I
wouldn't be doing very well.

You are trying to give a different perspective on Iran than we usually get,
but there is no reason to idealize it.

As for me it is enough to oppose the current imperial war drive against
Iran, to wish to defend it against attack.  I don't really have to know
whether Iran is a revolutionary regime or a clerical-fascist regime to
defend it against my enemies who happen to run the country here and not in
Iran.  We are not the ones that are going to make Iran for the better. But
by not trying to stop the current war drive we could help make Iran worse.

By the way I miss you over at LBO.

Jerry