[Marxism] Ahmadinejad, an Islamic Feminist (was Reflections on Iran)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 21 14:17:15 MDT 2006

Yoshie:
>I've already examined abortion in Iran in one of my blog entries
>published earlier than my MRZine article on Iran:

>alas, is conservatism: women in both societies lack the right to
>abortion, except the right to abortion performed to save the mother's
>life (women in El Salvador do not enjoy even this limited right, as
>even most MPs of the ostensibly secular FMLN eventually voted for
>total criminalization [Jack Hitt, "Pro-Life Nation," New York Times, 9
>April 2006]).

There is a big difference between Venezuela and Iran. In Venezuela, there
is a woman's liberation movement that openly presses for the
decriminalization of abortion. In Iran, you will get arrested if you
demonstrate for decriminalization. One country is fully democratic. The
other is authoritarian. We should not identify ourselves with countries
that arrest women's rights protestors.

--

www.marxmail.org