[Marxism] Ahmadinejad, an Islamic Feminist (was Reflections on Iran)

kersplebedeb info at kersplebedeb.com
Fri Jul 21 15:19:07 MDT 2006

Sayan Bhattacharyy poses a good question, and (i'm not meaning to cop
out, just to be honest) i don't have a 100% solid answer.

But to give it a shot: i believe amongst the problems that the
Sandinistas had - and which cannot simply be blamed on imperialism - one
can certainly include sexism. This despite the laudable advances that
women did make within the Nicaraguan revolution, and the key role played
by many women. The FSLN was male dominated, and as i understand it
remains so today - indeed, Margaret Randall in her book Gathering of
Rage suggests that the failure to develop a strong anti-patriarchal
programme which would have rallied even more women to the movement was
one of the key weaknesses which led to the defeat of the Sandinista
revolution.

To add fuel to this fire, the FSLN did not handle the situation with
indigenous people in the best way - indeed, from memory i believe that
through their own internalized settlerism they facilitated the wedge
that the United States drove between indigenous people and the
revolution. I don't think this can just be blamed on imperialism either,
and this too played a crucial role in their defeat.

Nevertheless, the Sandinistas did not encourage paramilitary gangs to
attack feminist organizations. They did not impose new more restrictive
forms of social control on women and queers. And they did not pull
sections of the international anti-imperialist movement to the right by
synthesizing their own anti-imperialist struggle with ultraconservative
positions.

As i wrote in my blog last year regarding the movie Unser America, about
what (ex-)Sandinista women are doing today, many women who fought for
the revolution remember this as amongst the proudest moments of their
life. Many feel that it was because of this process that they, as women,
have certain possibilities today that they would not have had otherwise.
(see: http://sketchythoughts.blogspot.com/2005/11/unser-america.html)

Again, regarding Iran i have to point out that i am not an expert, by
any means. And while i believe i disagree with her 100%, i am enjoying
Yoshie's defense of this reactionary regime because it does make me
think, and that can't be such a horrible thing (and y'know, i am willing
to admit i may be wrong - i just don't think i am!).

Nevertheless, having met left-wing women from the Iranian diaspora, and
having read books and statements by left-wing women from the Iranian
diaspora, the way they talk about the Islamic Revolution doesn't bear
much in common with how the women in Unser America talk about their
experience with the Sandinistas. The victory of the Islamic right was
experienced as a defeat by many committed leftists. Just because some of
these comrades may be clear that they would support Iran in its conflict
with imperialism should not be confused with support for the political
content of the revolution which they lost.

So perhaps if one does not like my formulation that the Sandinistas
"lost better", one can at least accept that the Iranian left "lost
worst". (And i am very happy to concede that the Sandinistas could have
"lost even better".)