[Marxism] Blogging against torture gets CIA contractor fired

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 21 17:44:23 MDT 2006

Top-Secret World Loses Blogger
CIA Contractor Is Fired When Internal Post Crosses the Line

By Dana Priest
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 21, 2006; A15

Christine Axsmith, a software contractor for the CIA, considered her blog a
success within the select circle of people who could actually access it.

Only people with top-secret security clearances could read her musings,
which were posted on Intelink, the intelligence community's classified
intranet. Writing as Covert Communications, CC for short, she opined in her
online journal on such national security conundrums as stagflation, the war
of ideas in the Middle East and -- in her most popular post -- bad food in
the CIA cafeteria.

But the hundreds of blog readers who responded to her irreverent entries
with titles such as "Morale Equals Food" won't be joining her ever again.

On July 13, after she posted her views on torture and the Geneva
Conventions, her blog was taken down and her security badge was revoked. On
Monday, Axsmith was terminated by her employer, BAE Systems, which was
helping the CIA test software.

As a traveler in the classified blogosphere, Axsmith was not alone.
Hundreds of blog posts appear on Intelink. The CIA says blogs and other
electronic tools are used by people working on the same issue to exchange
information and ideas.

CIA spokesman Paul Gimigliano declined to comment on Axsmith's case but
said the policy on blogs is that "postings should relate directly to the
official business of the author and readers of the site, and that managers
should be informed of online projects that use government resources. CIA
expects contractors to do the work they are paid to do."

A BAE Systems spokesman declined to comment.

Axsmith, 42, said in an interview this week that she thinks of herself as
the Erma Bombeck of the intel world, a "generalist" writing about lunch
meat one day, the war on terrorism the next. She said she first posted her
classified blog in May and no one said a thing. When she asked, managers
even agreed to give her the statistics on how many people were entering the
site. Her column on food pulled in 890 readers, and people sent her reviews
from other intelligence agency canteens.

The day of the last post, Axsmith said, after reading a newspaper report
that the CIA would join the rest of the U.S. government in according Geneva
Conventions rights to prisoners, she posted her views on the subject.

It started, she said, something like this: "Waterboarding is Torture and
Torture is Wrong."

And it continued, she added, with something like this: "CC had the sad
occasion to read interrogation transcripts in an assignment that should not
be made public. And, let's just say, European lives were not saved." (That
was a jab at Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's trip to Europe late last
year when she defended U.S. policy on secret detentions and
interrogations.) A self-described "opinionated loudmouth with a knack for
writing a catchy headline," Axsmith also wrote how it was important to
"empower grunts and paper pushers" because, she explained in the interview,
"I'm a big believer in educating people at the bottom, and that's how you
strengthen an infrastructure."

In her job as a contractor at the CIA's software-development shop, Axsmith
said, she conducted "performance and stress testing" on computer programs,
and that as a computer engineer she had nothing to do with interrogations.
She said she did read some interrogation-related reports while performing
her job as a trainer in one counterterrorism office.

Her opinion, Axsmith added, was based on newspaper reports of torture and
waterboarding as an interrogation method used to induce prisoners to cooperate.

"I thought it would be okay" to write about the Geneva Conventions, she
said, "because it's the policy."

In recounting the events of her last day as an Intelink blogger, Axsmith
said that she didn't hold up well when the corporate security officers
grilled her, seized her badge and put her in a frigid conference room. "I'm
shaking. I'm cold, staring at the wall," she recalled. "And worse, people
are using the room as a shortcut, so I have no dignity in this crisis."

She said BAE officials told her that the blog implied a specific knowledge
of interrogations and that it worried "the seventh floor" at CIA, where the
offices of the director and his management team are.

She said she apologized right away and figured she would get reprimanded
and her blog would be eliminated. She never dreamed she would be fired.
Now, Axsmith said, "I'm scared, terrified really" of being criminally
prosecuted for unauthorized use of a government computer system, something
one of the security officers mentioned to her.

Axsmith said she's proud of having taken her views public -- well, sort of.
"I know I hit the radar and it was amplified," she said. "I think I've had
an impact."

In the meantime, she's been thinking about Lt. Cmdr. Charles Swift, the
Navy lawyer who successfully challenged the constitutionality of military
tribunals at the Guantanamo Bay prison.

The National Law Journal named Swift one of the 100 most influential
lawyers in the country, but the Navy has so far passed him over for
promotion. He told the Los Angeles Times then, "One thing that has been a
great revelation for me is that you may love the military, but it doesn't
necessarily love you."

"That's how I feel," Axsmith said, recalling what Swift said. "I love the
CIA. I love the mission. I love the people. It's such a great place to work."