[Marxism] Ahmadinejad, an Islamic Feminist (was Reflections on Iran)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 18:32:46 MDT 2006

On 7/21/06, Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Arguing that the "survival" of a political regime (and that is what we are
> talking about, not survival of living people) is a value in itself is a
> little silly.

If the regime in question is actually of value to people objectively,
the death of that regime tends to cause deaths of a lot of living
people.  That's obvious in Nicaragua, the former Eastern bloc, Iraq,
etc., due to anything from rising infant mortality rates to violence.

BTW, what I would really like to see in Iran is a passive revolution
that demotes the ruling clerics, not a mere survival of the regime as
it is.

> We are _that_
> > irrelevant to the Iranian people.
> >

> Truly I wish we were irrelevant.  For the people of the Middle East and
> Latin American our irrelevancy would be a clear advance in international
> solidarity.  But unfortunately the absence of a strong anti-imperialist
> movement at the heart of the imperial beast is not irrelevant to the world.

I'm saying that the absence of a strong anti-imperialist movement, of
the sort that can actually take power and establish our own government
here, makes us practically irrelevant to the people of the Middle
East.

What do they care whatever we have to say about Iran, Lebanon,
Palestine, or any of the leaders there, since we have ZERO power to
act on whatever we believe respectively?  Most of them have never
heard of us, and they never will.

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>