[Marxism] Israel's attack on Lebanon -- the latest victory of the so-called "neo-cons"

Brian Shannon brian_shannon at verizon.net
Sat Jul 22 08:04:54 MDT 2006

On the same day, September 20, 2001, that George Bush outlined the
imperialist vision of a reconstituted Middle East, the Project for a
New American Century, often identified as the "Neo-Cons," published
the statement below.

It lays out a specific program, symmetrical to a passage from Bush's
speech of that day.

It presents a specific order or strategy, indeed a time-table, which
has prevailed, despite setbacks and resistance.

Although the statement starts with Osama bin Laden, he is here only
as a throw-away to be dismissed and put aside in the phrasing "We
agree ... but by no means the only goal." In fact this purpose was
revealed in the opening paragraph, which references the veil of the
Taliban and other "terrorist" organizations in order to focus on the
social reality behind them. In order to really get them, we have to
do something else -- for a higher purpose.

After the nod to Osama are first Iraq and then Hezbollah and its
allies in Syria and Iran. Remember that there was an earlier action,
almost in passing,  against Lebanon and Syria ending with the
withdrawal of Syrian troops, but without any real impact on
Hezbollah. Now comes Israel's turn, emulating President Clinton's
successful strategy in the bombing of Yugoslavia.
http://www.zmag.org/crisescurevts/peace_accord.htm

Brian Shannon

______________________________

The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States
Washington, DC

Dear Mr. President,

We write to endorse your admirable commitment to “lead the world to
victory” in the war against terrorism. We fully support your call for
“a broad and sustained campaign” against the “terrorist organizations
and those who harbor and support them.” We agree with Secretary of
State Powell that the United States must find and punish the
perpetrators of the horrific attack of September 11, and we must, as
he said, “go after terrorism wherever we find it in the world” and
“get it by its branch and root.” We agree with the Secretary of State
that U.S. policy must aim not only at finding the people responsible
for this incident, but must also target those “other groups out there
that mean us no good” and “that have conducted attacks previously
against U.S. personnel, U.S. interests and our allies.”

In order to carry out this “first war of the 21st century”
successfully, and in order, as you have said, to do future
“generations a favor by coming together and whipping terrorism,” we
believe the following steps are necessary parts of a comprehensive
strategy.

Osama bin Laden

We agree that a key goal, but by no means the only goal, of the
current war on terrorism should be to capture or kill Osama bin
Laden, and to destroy his network of associates. To this end, we
support the necessary military action in Afghanistan and the
provision of substantial financial and military assistance to the
anti-Taliban forces in that country.

Iraq

We agree with Secretary of State Powell’s recent statement that
Saddam Hussein “is one of the leading terrorists on the face of the
Earth….” It may be that the Iraqi government provided assistance in
some form to the recent attack on the United States. But even if
evidence does not link Iraq directly to the attack, any strategy
aiming at the eradication of terrorism and its sponsors must include
a determined effort to remove Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq.
Failure to undertake such an effort will constitute an early and
perhaps decisive surrender in the war on international terrorism. The
United States must therefore provide full military and financial
support to the Iraqi opposition. American military force should be
used to provide a “safe zone” in Iraq from which the opposition can
operate. And American forces must be prepared to back up our
commitment to the Iraqi opposition by all necessary means.

Hezbollah

Hezbollah is one of the leading terrorist organizations in the world.
It is suspected of having been involved in the 1998 bombings of the
American embassies in Africa, and implicated in the bombing of the
U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut in 1983. Hezbollah clearly falls in
the category cited by Secretary Powell of groups “that mean us no
good” and “that have conducted attacks previously against U.S.
personnel, U.S. interests and our allies.” Therefore, any war against
terrorism must target Hezbollah. We believe the administration should
demand that Iran and Syria immediately cease all military, financial,
and political support for Hezbollah and its operations. Should Iran
and Syria refuse to comply, the administration should consider
appropriate measures of retaliation against these known state
sponsors of terrorism.

Israel and the Palestinian Authority

Israel has been and remains America’s staunchest ally against
international terrorism, especially in the Middle East. The United
States should fully support our fellow democracy in its fight against
terrorism. We should insist that the Palestinian Authority put a stop
to terrorism emanating from territories under its control and
imprison those planning terrorist attacks against Israel. Until the
Palestinian Authority moves against terror, the United States should
provide it no further assistance.

U.S. Defense Budget

A serious and victorious war on terrorism will require a large
increase in defense spending. Fighting this war may well require the
United States to engage a well-armed foe, and will also require that
we remain capable of defending our interests elsewhere in the world.
We urge that there be no hesitation in requesting whatever funds for
defense are needed to allow us to win this war.

There is, of course, much more that will have to be done. Diplomatic
efforts will be required to enlist other nations’ aid in this war on
terrorism. Economic and financial tools at our disposal will have to
be used. There are other actions of a military nature that may well
be needed. However, in our judgement the steps outlined above
constitute the minimum necessary if this war is to be fought
effectively and brought to a successful conclusion. Our purpose in
writing is to assure you of our support as you do what must be done
to lead the nation to victory in this fight.

Sincerely,

William Kristol

Richard V. Allen    Gary Bauer    Jeffrey Bell       William J. Bennett

Rudy Boshwitz    Jeffrey Bergner       Eliot Cohen    Seth Cropsey

Midge Decter       Thomas Donnelly    Nicholas Eberstadt    Hillel
Fradkin

Aaron Friedberg    Francis Fukuyama    Frank Gaffney       Jeffrey
Gedmin

Reuel Marc Gerecht    Charles Hill       Bruce P. Jackson    Eli S.
Jacobs

Michael Joyce       Donald Kagan    Robert Kagan    Jeane Kirkpatrick

Charles Krauthammer    John Lehman    Clifford May       Martin Peretz

Richard Perle    Norman Podhoretz       Stephen P. Rosen    Randy
Scheunemann

Gary Schmitt       William Schneider, Jr.    Richard H. Shultz
Henry Sokolski

Stephen J. Solarz    Vin Weber   Leon Wieseltier       Marshall Wittmann

http://www.newamericancentury.org/Bushletter.htm

*     *     *     *     *

George W. Bush to joint session of Congress on September 20, 2001:

. . .

Americans are asking "Why do they hate us?"

They hate what they see right here in this chamber: a democratically
elected government. Their leaders are self-appointed. They hate our
freedoms: our freedom of religion, our freedom of speech, our freedom
to vote and assemble and disagree with each other.

They want to overthrow existing governments in many Muslim countries
such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Jordan. They want to drive Israel out
of the Middle East. They want to drive Christians and Jews out of
vast regions of Asia and Africa.

These terrorists kill not merely to end lives, but to disrupt and end
a way of life. With every atrocity, they hope that America grows
fearful, retreating from the world and forsaking our friends. They
stand against us because we stand in their way.