[Marxism] Gran, Gramsci, Mexico, Middle East

Y. K. ykleftis at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 22 18:03:57 MDT 2006

I came across this comment by Peter Gran. He studies the Arab world
primarily but seems to make some general arguments about hegemony. I have
just started looking at his output. I put his posting below and recommend
his work to those interested in the Arab world, Islam, and Mexico.

---

Chiapas y la escritura de la historia

To those interested in Chiapas,

I wrote a book which was published in 1996 by Syracuse U. Press called
Beyond Eurocentrism in which I presented a theory of modern Mexican history
as comparable to that of Italy, that is of having a hegemony of the North
over the South, of making the South into folklore in order to better exploit
  its lower class a la Gramsci's essay on the Southern Question. I think the
uprising by "Indians" in Chiapas fits in this type of approach to
explanation quite well.

Regrettably, to this point I never managed to get the book reviewed in
spanish or Portuguese or to have the argument tried out in Mexico.
Apparently most writers think,  the world is apparently now entirely
international, and that globalism does not have national roots or social
dynamics. Gramsci's theories of hegemony are therefore out of date. I don't
agree.  I still would like to test the utility of the approach.

yours,

Peter Gran
pgran at astro.temple.edu

http://www.h-debate.com/Spanish/historia%20inmediata/chiapas/gran.htm