[Marxism] Fisk's latest on Beirut: A worker reads history

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 04:59:20 MDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Lüko Willms <lueko.willms at t-online.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:50:26 +1000 (EST), g.maclennan at qut.edu.au wrote:
>

> > "They look like us, the people of Beirut.
>
>    Robert Fisk writes always from the standpoint of his "we", which is
> the well-educated, well-fed readership of "The Independent", "Guardian",
> "Economist" etc. He is not a working-class journalist, but one of the
> best of the bourgeois journalists.
>
>    So the above quoted should not surprise anyone.

Agreed. He should, however, be more thoughtful when writing, since Britain
now has many immigrants from South Asia living there, and I'm sure many of
them read the Guardian and the Independent, too. Also, many more people, not
all British or westerners, including some in non-western countries, probably
read the Guardian on the web, since their website is free.

PC-baiting people, especially good journalists like Fisk, is odious --  but
if the left wants to bring/attract new immigrants  into itself,  this is
exactly the kind of thing that alienates (the implicit message being "you're
not part of the 'we' !") and this needs to be carefully avoided.