[Marxism] Ward Churchill case

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Mon Jul 24 08:49:34 MDT 2006

I'm not a professor, but it seems to me that the tenure system produces a
lot of dead weight and parasitism in academia.  It's natural enough I guess
to want to defend unpopular views or promote scholarship outside the
run-of-the-mill orthodoxy which characterizes higher education, but aren't
such animals rather rare in the academy?    Truly outstanding scholars, if
they are productive, probably don't need it; others may not even be hired in
the first place if their political idiosyncracies do not jibe with that of
the head of their prospective department, and so on.   I think we can all
agree at least that the tenure system has been mercilessly abused.

Louis G