[Marxism] Re: Bolivian scholar denied visa to U.S.

Brian Shannon brian_shannon at verizon.net
Mon Jul 24 09:12:20 MDT 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 9:36 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-fg-
> waskar23jul23,1,7740494.story?coll=la-news-a_section
> From the Los Angeles Times
> Academic Caught in Web of U.S. Suspicion
> A Bolivian scholar has a teaching post waiting in Nebraska, but no
> visa.
> By Patrick J. McDonnell
> Times Staff Writer
>
> July 23, 2006
>
> LA PAZ, Bolivia — By now, Waskar Ari should be preparing his
> lectures for the fall semester at the University of Nebraska, a
> year's professorship already under his belt.
>
> The Bolivian historian and political scientist, an Aymara Indian
> with a doctorate in history from Georgetown University, was offered
> a tenure-track post in Lincoln teaching Latin American history more
> than a year ago.
>
> But Ari has yet to obtain a U.S. visa. He hears rumors that he has
> been accused of "terrorist" connections, although no one has told
> him anything directly.
>
> "It's all very secretive," Ari, 44, wearing the modified bowler hat
> favored by traditional Indians, said during a recent interview at
> an upscale cafe in this Andean capital. "We really don't know
> what's behind this."
>
> Representatives of the U.S. Embassy here declined to comment on the
> matter, citing privacy concerns.

Privacy, hogwash. Ari has been singled out. That is the point.

Whatever the final decision in this case, the main result of this and
similar cases is intimidation. It warns other scholars to edit their
studies, their remarks, their opinions, their associations. As these
are "separated" (like Syria from Hezbollah, etc.), the remainder can
be stigmatized as the "hard" left, the dead-enders.

It is an aspect of bureaucratic terrorism, identical to that of the
McCarthy period. This is also the purpose of the Horowitz book. Even
if there are outright falsehoods, it is the attack itself that counts.

Brian Shannon