[Marxism] Ward Churchill case

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Mon Jul 24 09:55:03 MDT 2006

Well, turnabout is fair play.  I'm not a professor, yet went on to give
tenure short shrift.  Mark is not a craftsman (well, he is in one sense, but
not in the vein in which we are now speaking), but goes on to say so and so
about craft unionism.   Much of what he says is true, but most of it is not.
There is no "tenure" among 95% of unionized craftsmen.   The employer simply
will not pay those kinds of wages to people who are not worth their salt.
Nor are there paid holidays.   Nor paid vacations.   Nor monies to attend
far away seminars or professional conventions.   Union officials get often
generous travel allotments, etc., but this far beyond the reach of the
rank-and-file.  In short, you are paid for the time you are on the job
producing for the employer.   That's it.

Nor is there longevity, which is really the crux of tenure.   People are for
the most part rewarded for showing up for so many years, becoming
politically connected, and going along with whatever the senior professors
and the administration deem proper.   On the other hand, I know many, many
skilled sheetrockers, foundation men, millwrights, framers, and finish
carpenters who, upon reaching the age when the tenured were contemplating
retirement, were summarily laid off with the phone call to the business
agent saying "I can't use this guy; he can't hang eighty sheets of rock a
day anymore.  Send me someone else."   That's it.  There's no "reward" for
twenty, thirty, or fifty years of service.   In effect: You're too old.  Get
the fuck out.   That's the fate of 95% of "labor aristocrats" in the trades.
Now, no one is arguing (at least, I'm not) that that is right, especially
under capitalism.   But, then, neither is the tenure system as it is
currently constituted.

Louis G