[Marxism] "innocent" New Yorkers in Israel?

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 11:03:22 MDT 2006

The  comments on Dershowitz's latest filth reminded me of a comment I wanted  to  make on stories like the one below. If you're a New Yorker  you've seen dozens of these in recent years. I think I've screeded on this before but it bears raising again now.

  Here's the typical scenario: A prosperous New York family leaves their  nice home in their nice neighborhood in the city or surrounding suburbs  and goes to Israel. They find residence in a house built on land to  which displaced Palestinians from 40 or 60 years ago are still waiting  to return.
  These New Yorkers are people who have no economic or political need to  move there, and are consciously bolstering the Zionist regime's plan to  overcome the "demographic" threat of increasing Arab population.
  I should have sympathy with them if they come under attack? The kids, OK. The adults? Not a chance.
  I'm all for Arab radical groups developing a class politics to reach  out to Jewish workers in Palestine (i.e. the whole pre-1948 land). But  alliances with these prosperous New Yorkers? Fuck it. Let them get  their asses back home.
  New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
  Ex-New Yorkers brave rockets
  BY OREN YANIV
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
  Sunday, July 23rd, 2006

  MIZPE NETOFA, ISRAEL - "Nice place, huh?" said Tzvi Klein as he  surveyed his family's new home - a villa perched on this pastoral  hilltop in northern Israel.    Only a few hours had passed since they immigrated here Thursday with a group of American Jews.
    A cool breeze gently flapped the branches of an ancient olive tree and appeased the warm sun, set in perfect-blue skies.
    The serenity was broken, however, by the  constant hum of high-flying fighter jets heading north, to Lebanon,  loaded with powerful bombs as the conflict between Hezbollah and Israel  raged on.
    "We are the crazy Americans who come to the  Galilee in the middle of a war," Klein said, only half-jokingly. "We  didn't turn back."
    Klein, 46, his wife Toby, 40, and their  four boys spent their first afternoon in their hometown in a community  vacated by many of its inhabitants from fear of Hezbollah-launched  rockets.
    Only 24 hours earlier a house in a village  3 miles away suffered a direct hit from a long-range missile, but  miraculously no one was hurt.
    The nearest urban centers - Tiberius and  Safed - have been under attack and were virtually shut down, as were  day camps and most other activities in the region.
    Just steps from their new digs stood a bomb shelter, an unappealing squared slab of fortified concrete and metal doors.
    They decided to unpack and then go stay with relatives through the weekend because "rockets are flying around," Klein said.
    The Kleins were worried but undeterred.
    They met while living in New York years  ago, when he was doing his medical fellowship at Mount Sinai Medical  Center and she worked in graphic design. They later moved to Baltimore  - and now to Israel.
    "Where is the nearest bomb shelter?" was  one of the first questions asked by ex-New Yorker Boaz Berkowitz, 29,  as he looked for a home.
    He and his wife, Danielle Keats-Berkowitz, 29, arrived on the same flight as the Kleins with more than 200 other Americans.
    Day One, at Raanana, in central Israel, was far from easy.
    Their initial residence was a  government-run absorption center for new immigrants that turned out to  be sweltering, messy and poorly equipped.
    "I broke down and cried," Danielle said. "We felt very abandoned."
    Yet with the help of a local friend and perfect strangers, they eventually found another temporary place to stay.
    "Since we got here people have been wonderful," Danielle added.
    She was speaking in a bustling cafée at a  busy commercial strip -- a stark disparity from the emptying north of  the country where every conversation seemed to involve sirens or  rockets.
    Rested and refreshed, the couple was ready  to take on their new life on Friday, starting with an endeavor for  which they are highly qualified as former New Yorkers.
    They called real estate agents and started shopping for an apartment.