[Marxism] Ward Churchill case

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Mon Jul 24 19:43:21 MDT 2006

There is something very queer about Mark's arguments (aside from his silly
remark that I am not familiar with the building trades in "cities like
Chicago"; I'm making some inquiries to ascertain if such locales differ
significantly from the situation obtaining throughout the rest of the
country).  On the one hand, he defends tenure; on the other he complains of
having been denied a permanent place in academia up til now, presumably by
tenured senior faculty opposed to his politics.   He points to his
publishing record and years of teaching as qualifications for winning a
tenure track position.   But, if there were no tenure, wouldn't people who
*didn't* publish or otherwise distinguish themselves be denied the
opportunity to refuse work to the more deserving?   And what about his
remark concerning the length of apprenticeship?  Most programs in the trades
require 4 or 5 years (of steady work) to achieve journeyman status, and then
a number of years of additional training to be granted the designation
"master" or whatever.   I've seen lots of second-year graduate students
teaching and, in any event, aren't most Ph.D programs in the humanities
about 4 or 5 years (I'm not talking about people who make a career out of
going to graduate school, just the average student who's usually out
teaching in some capacity after 2 or 3 years).   Strange.

Louis G