[Marxism] "My own comrades"

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 13:55:25 MDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Johannes Schneider <Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net> wrote:
> I learned a lot from them, not only about Iran.

Yes, we should learn from them, but I don't adopt their perspectives
as mine (not that they agree on one interpretation among themselves
either -- they never did even when they were in Iran).

> Those who are in
> power today were it during the Iran-Contra deal as well.

Except Ahmadinejad, who was a soldier back then.  What we need to
understand about Iran now is it's a time of generational transition.
It's a war veteran who got elected, and he brought his veteran
comrades into the government -- a very controversial move among the
ruling class of Iran.

BTW, from the Iranian rulers' point of view, what they did in their
part of the deal in the Iran-Contra was to buy badly needed weapons
when the other side, Saddam Hussein's Iraq, was well supplied with
both Western and Soviet hardware and software for the war.

> I am well aware that there are different currents among "political Islam".
> Like in the US there are Republicans and Democrats. Here in Germany we
> have Greens, Liberals, Conservative Chistian Democrats, Liberal Christian
> Democrats and Social Christain Democrats. I note their differences and
> study them to fight them better, but I do not really care about how they
> are different, since they are all defenders of the capitalist order.

I notice you don't mention the Left Party.

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>