[Marxism] Marxist analysis of US/Israel offensives

dwalters at marxists.org dwalters at marxists.org
Wed Jul 26 23:27:47 MDT 2006

We're all Monday morning quarterbacks on this but I will play the role of  they
guy in the back of room and say "excuse me
"

 I don't think "Israel is losing". Why would anyone say this? Because they are
meeting stiff opposition and lose 9 soldiers in a day? Wooowww! Because they
are fighting a professional level army? Did they "lose" when the faced a much
stronger force of Palestinians and Lebanese 25 years ago then they marched to
the gates of Beirut and were able to instigate one of the largest massacres of
civilians in the Middle-East in 50 years? Lebanese are dying at the rate of 40
to 1 against Israeli civilians. I don't think that makes anyone a 'winner'.

Until one can report that Israel is being driven back from Lebanon with
Hezbollah still intact (the stated goal, after all, is the dismantlement of
Hezbollah) then one cannot say "Israel is losing". It much too early to say
anyone is losing militarily.

David Walters
San Francisco